Posted on 10/09/2019 at 09:00 AM by Allee Wengert
10 Reasons to Participate in Leadership Ames
- Explore the Workforce Landscape
- Get to know the many sides of the Story County economy from cutting-edge technology start-ups to cornerstone organizations that have sustained our workforce for generations.
- Network Across Business Sectors
- Leadership Ames provides the opportunity to meet leaders from throughout the community and will help you develop relationships cross-industry through our 12 sessions together and service projects. This year will be the first year we have co-sessions with Leadership Nevada, furthering your networking opportunities.
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours
- Have you ever driven by a business and wondered what goes on behind the scenes? As a Leadership Ames participant, you will tour nearly two dozen different organizations and get a first-hand look at operations in manufacturing, healthcare, tech firms, schools and local government.
- Service Projects
- Service projects have been a longstanding part of the Leadership Ames program. From the Cy statues you can find throughout town, to city entrance beautification projects to repair work for local non-profits, you will have the opportunity to experience the difference civic engagement makes firsthand.
- Practical Applications
- The content you will study in the leadership development classes is designed to enable you to begin applying it in your work environment the next day. Leadership styles and strategies for nurturing business growth, people development and team building are only a few of the topics we will cover throughout the year.
- Long Term Impact
- Leadership Ames may be a one-year program, but the knowledge and experiences you will take away will stay with you. In the spirit of putting what you’ve learned into practice, all graduates will plan and lead one session with a partner for the next cohort of students, ensuring they have an experience as impactful as yours.
- Civic Understanding
- All Leadership Ames participants are required to attend one City Council meeting to deepen their understanding how city administration and the vision our elected officials have for our community. We will also speak with elected officials at the state and county levels to learn about current policy and legislation.
- Make New Friends
- After spending 12 sessions together, participating in team building activities, and working together in service project groups, graduates find they’ve made many new friends that they may not have met without the program.
- Prepare Ames for the Future
- Combining the many experiences Leadership Ames offers, you will be better equipped to help lead Ames into the future whether it’s taking the lead at work or seeking out more opportunities to drive growth in the community.
- Have Fun!
- As a Leadership Ames participant, you might dress-up in scrubs, draw-up plays in the Hilton locker rooms, eat lunch on a stage, or take part in a mock trial. There’s never a boring day!
Still need convincing? Keep reading to see what our current co-chairs have to say about the program.
“I applied to be in Leadership Ames not knowing exactly what I was signing up for, but hoping I would make more connections and learn more about Ames. The experience exceeded expectations in every way. Not only did I learn about facets of my community I had no idea existed, but I was given the opportunity to talk with industry leaders, make professional connections—many of whom are now dear friends—and participate in service projects that made a real difference. I wish everyone could have the Leadership Ames opportunity!”
Leadership Ames, Class 31
Co-Chair, Class 32 & 33
“Leadership Ames is a top-notch program. I have never experienced something that does so well with networking leaders who have such care for the community and help them learn a great deal about Ames in a "behind the scenes" kind of way. It reveals opportunities for a person to get involved and help continue to improve the town we live in, and overall be a much more informed citizen.”
Leadership Ames, Class 32
Co-Chair, Class 33 & 34
Categories: Developing Talent